Community Spotlight: 7th Grade Math Projects

By Susana Hernandez


Last week in the 7th grade we worked on our math projects for SLC’s.The project consisted of us drawing or creating a piece of art like a “subway tile” which can be seen on the walls on some of the train stations. But that’s not all, in our drawing we also had to include three of the four dilation, translation, reflection, and rotation which are all transformations used in geometry. 


Once we had finished that we were able to answer two questions asking which transformations we used and why we chose to draw that certain image or how it interprets how we are feeling during these uncertain times.This was such a great project and I myself also enjoyed it, it was wonderful to be able to mix two different things and make them into one. I loved the idea of it being so free and creative like all the other things we are lucky enough to do in school and how we can connect it to such a hard time in history. But I wasn’t the only one to think the same thing here are a few quotes from our fellow 7th graders.


Karina from 704 said “the teachers did a good job on choosing a project that relates to what we are learning and also gives us students a way to express ourselves. I like it because we were given the choice to choose for ourselves what symbol we wanted to do and relate it to what we are feeling during this time, since everyone is going through different things. I had a hard time choosing what I wanted my symbol to be, but at the end I chose a leaf. I learned that a leaf represents hope, and hope is something I have right now.” Sampada from 705 said “I had a really good experience with the math project. I thought it was a good way to express my feelings and it was nice to try something new for math.”


Almog from 704 said “ Well I think it was a really cool experience. I think that especially having to go through these hard times and staying at home, this math project was a great way to incorporate math material into something that we are all concerned about. I also think that it was really fun for me specifically because it was more of a "fun" project rather than one of those projects where it takes days to do and everyone stresses over it.” Kiara from 702 said “Well my experience throughout the math project was pretty positive. I thought the project was new and fresh and it gave us an opportunity to express ourselves.” Lastly Noah from 701 said “My project name is Nature awareness. My experience is staring at the moon at night and thinking when the coronavirus would end. Seeking help in nature to overcome.” 


Hope you guys liked the article and thanks for reading but here like other weeks is our amazing work from our fellow 7th graders. When you see them or even text them and let them know of their amazing work. Have a good week and leave a comment down below.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Disney Channel Character from “Andi Mack” comes out as gay, and other LGBT characters.

The Downside of School Dress Codes for Female Students