Community Spotlight: 7th Grade Rube Goldberg Machines

By Susana Hernandez

This week for our 7th grade community spotlight we are talking about the great artist Rube Goldberg who we learned about in Art and created many art projects related to his work. Check out some of our work at the bottom of this article!

Rube Goldberg was born on July 4th, 1883 in San Francisco, California and lived until the age of 67. His full name was Reuben Garrett Lucius Goldberg and he was known for being an American cartoonist, sculptor, author, engineer, and inventor and if that is not crazy enough he has his own award for the National Cartoonists Society. But perhaps he was most famous for his machines.
When building the machine it had to have at least three energy sources and a purpose.






For me this was pretty hard at first since we had to use household items we had around your home. I couldn’t really think of anything but one day I was looking at my fridge and got the idea of a machine that opened the fridge door. It was pretty easy after I knew what to build and what to use. I used a metal bar, string, books, a door, basketball, bag, vacuum, stairs, and the help of my parents.

Overall, I really enjoyed the activity and had a few laughs while making it and actually learned a lot. Some of my fellow 7th grade art students also took part in this project and here's what they had to say.
Some students found it really engaging and challenging. Edward from 701 said, “I think it’s interesting because we usually use motion in science and physics,” while Kaydence from 702 said, “it was mad hard for no reason!”

But students overwhelmingly had fun! Manuela from 703 wrote in: “It was a bit challenging but fun to do,” and Lareen from 704 said she "thought the idea was very creative and I had a lot of fun doing the project. At first I thought it was going to be hard but I just ignored that and thought and it was very fun!”

Lastly, Edwin from 703 was really into the mechanics of it. 

“It was interesting and fun to do I had lots of fun doing and creating something that moves and works.”

Below are some videos of our fellow artists and their amazing work! We hope you guys like it and make sure to give shine to our artists down below and everyone else that participated in this art project. Leave a comment if you like!

Comments

  1. Really cool--always loved Rube Goldberg machines, but never knew about this background! Thanks, Susana!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! So creative and fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

The Downside of School Dress Codes for Female Students

Disney Channel Character from “Andi Mack” comes out as gay, and other LGBT characters.