Ramapo 2019



By Kara Degracia



Hi, I’m Kara Degracia and I am a new student joining the school blog! On October 10-11th, the 7th grade took an overnight trip to Rhinebeck, NY at Camp Ramapo for children. We did many activities there and it was an overall great first overnight school trip, for me at least. Not everyone had the same activities done, but for now I will be showing you what my experience was like in camp Ramapo!
We left the school at around 8:30am and we got on coach buses. Our bags had to be stored under the bus which was a good thing because I brought a luggage. The bus ride was about 2-3 hours. We talked, had snacks, and took naps. Our bus was an all girl bus so nothing that crazy happened. I sat next to my best friend, Ima, and we had lots of fun!



We arrived to the camp at around 11am. Then, the first thing we did was head straight to our cabins to just have a quick tour and set our stuff down. Afterwards, we headed right to the dining hall to have lunch.

For lunch we had some pizza, I really enjoyed it. “I liked the food, it was good actually,” says Emily Quevedo (702). “The pizza was bomb!” There was a long table for all the food, basically like a buffet, and a salad bar including fruit and obviously salad. We stayed there for maybe about 25-30 minutes.

After lunch we headed out to a small field of grass where we did some team building activities and to know others better. One of the games we played was Common Ground. So basically everyone had to stand on little spot markers and then someone would have to be in the middle and say “I have common ground with anyone who…” and then they would say something like “has brown eyes” or “likes the color yellow.” Then whoever has that common ground has to move to another spot marker including the person in the middle. Then if you’re the only one left not standing on a spot marker, you must be the next person in the middle. This carried on for a couple minutes and we played some other games but this one we played had to be my favorite. “It got us to work together because we got to do activities with our advisories and get closer to our advisory peers,'' says Sam Arteaga (705).



Then we took a trip to the high ropes course, that was probably my favorite part. Our advisories high ropes challenge was a log going across two trees super high up in the air. Each of us chose a partner depending how high they wanted to go up on the log. I got partnered with Cora since we wanted to go up all the way. We were all harnessed and handled by the counselors and some of our peers. We got up there by climbing up staples on the tree. When you’re down below it doesn’t look that bad. But once you’re up there you realize how high up you actually are. But it was still crazy fun.



After that we got back to the cabins around 4pm and then we just got settled, made our beds, and looked around the cabin. We got to have some free time on the playground which was super fun. I got to go on Ima’s shoulders which was really fun but also really scary because I felt like I was going to fall at some points. We stayed there for maybe an hour then headed to dinner.



For dinner we had some nice buttered pasta and chicken. I really enjoyed this meal. Other than the fact that the pasta was so buttery it kept falling of my fork, it was super good. Once again we stayed for about 25-30 minutes. After that, we went to a campfire somewhere in the woods away from the cabins.
Obviously, we roasted marshmallows and made s’mores! We were provided two marshmallows but I ate my first marshmallow and used the second one for a s’more. We stayed for maybe an hour and played a cool campfire game where the counselors try to convince us that they can read each other's minds. The game was called “Black Magic” and I was super stumped at first until someone pointed out how they did it. This ended was probably around 8:00PM.



Finally the last activity of the day was another free time. You could either choose to go on a late night hike, arts and crafts, or go to the gym. I ran straight to the arts and craft section and right as I got in there I saw Ima. We pretty much hadn’t seen each other all day since we are in different advisories. So once I saw her, we had a really dramatic running hug and we fell to the floor. In the arts in craft section I learned how to make lanyards. My mom taught me how to make lanyards a few years ago but I forgot so this really jogged my memory back up. We stayed until 9:00pm and then headed back to our cabin.

In our cabin, a lot of stuff happened. And when I say a lot I mean a lot. Everyone was practically screaming and just going crazy. Until quiet hours (10:00PM), we pretty much just yelled out a bunch of songs from Tik Tok until the other half of the cabin came to complain. We were being so loud! It was really fun though.
Then during quiet hours we had a huge sad bonding moment. The idea was that everyone shares out a challenge they’ve been through before. It got really deep, like to the point where almost everyone was crying their eyes out. That was also probably one of my favorite parts because I really felt like I was in a safe environment and no one was there to judge anyone.



At 11:00PM, we finally went to bed. Me and Ima slept on the top bunk then Arden had the bottom. Ima and I probably stayed up until 12am taking random pictures until we finally fell asleep.

The next morning, I woke up at around 5 to just the sound of Ima’s unnecessary alarms so I went back to sleep. Maybe 30 minutes later I woke up and looked over to see 3 girls sitting in front of the heater. I didn’t think much of it. Until around 7AM, everyone was in front of the heater. That's how cold it was in our cabin!

At 8am we headed to put our luggage and bags in an area so we wouldn’t have to struggle with them later on. If we had finished putting away our bags we got to chill in the playground area for like 30 minutes.

Then we headed back to the dining hall for breakfast. On today's menu was french toast sticks, sausage, cereal, yogurt, and granola. I chose pretty much all of it because I was starving. We stayed there for 25-30 minutes.



After we went to our low ropes course. Another team building challenge where We had planks and platforms but we only had a limited amount of planks. we only had three planks and if they touched the floor a.k.a. the lava we were not able to use it anymore. The point of the game was to reach the end/safety by only using three planks. We were unsuccessful to do it within our set time limits but we did get extra time and got to get everyone over to safety.

The last activity of the trip was the Wilderness Challenge. The advisory was split into two groups, one maintaining the fire, and the other maintaining the shelter. I decided to go for the fire because it seemed easier, but how wrong I was. The challenge was to keep a fire burning for 10 minutes but we were pretty unsuccessful.

After that we went home, it was pretty sad to leave because I really enjoyed it. I would totally recommend going there for summer camp or something like that. For any of the 6th graders reading this, I hope you’re excited for next year!








Comments

  1. Hi Kara,

    I loved your article about Ramapo. It sounds like you had a great time. How fun it is to be able to get out into nature with all your classmates and get a chance to bond. I loved how you described all the activities that you did, including what you ate, in detail! I may have to join in the fun next year!

    Good reporting!
    Ms. Ho

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

The Downside of School Dress Codes for Female Students

Disney Channel Character from “Andi Mack” comes out as gay, and other LGBT characters.