Going Vegetarian for a Week

By Lilah Rivera and Kaydence Mazzilli

Hello, my name is Kaydence and my friend’s name is Lilah. We are in sixth grade from classes 602 and 603. We’re going vegetarian for a week! Vegetarian is when you don’t eat meat. So basically you can’t have beef, chicken, or any animal meat products.

Kaydence’s Journey

Sunday
Breakfast: I had cereal with regular milk. It was Rice Krispies.
Lunch: I had 3 beef tacos from Taco Bell. I regret it so much.
Dinner: I had some weird cheese bread thing. I was so confused.

Monday
Breakfast: I didn’t have breakfast. I don’t know why.
Lunch: At school they served pizza. I ate it because I was very hungry and I knew we weren’t going vegan so I could eat the cheese.
Dinner: I had pizza again. This time it was pepperoni.

Tuesday
Breakfast: I had some Special K cereal with berries. It was sooo good.
Lunch: I had ramen noodles for lunch. The best part is I made them myself. They were a little bit watered down but I still ate them.
Dinner: I had mashed potatoes with peas and rice. It tasted so good.

Wednesday
Breakfast: I had some party crackers from Seba Seba (a bakery and restaurant) and a juice pack.
Lunch: At school we had mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce. It was okay but then again I don’t really like school lunch so… yeah.
Dinner: I had such good Chinese food. Chicken and broccoli with white rice. After that, I had those fried thingies. After that I had sesame chicken. Anyways, to drink, I had ginger ale. I failed today as you can tell.

Thursday
Breakfast: I was going to be late for school so I skipped breakfast.
Lunch: We had mashed potatoes and dumplings. I couldn’t help myself so I ate the dumplings. Whoops…
Dinner: I forgot what I had for dinner. Probably ramen noodles.

Friday
Breakfast: I had some iced coffee
Lunch: We had pizza at school. I think I might’ve stolen something from Lareen too
Dinner: I don’t think I had dinner because I got home very late.

Saturday
Breakfast: I had a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich with a berry blast smoothie from a deli in Jackson Heights. The smoothie has milk, ice, blackberries, blueberries, and bananas.
Lunch: I had a ham and cheese sandwich from Stop & Shop along with a vanilla bean protein shake.
Dinner: I had even MORE ramen noodles. I think I eat noodles too much. To drink I had Gatorade.

Kaydence’s Conclusion
I believe that going vegetarian is definitely a challenge. It requires being cautious of what you eat. As a meat-lover, this was a big struggle for me. I recommend trying this challenge if you want a fun thing to do. Doing this challenge has taught me that some lifestyles are hard to live by but you have to keep pushing through it . I hope you enjoyed reading about my experience. Thank you!

Lilah’s Journey 

Sunday

Breakfast: Cocoa Puffs with Almond Milk (Unsweetened)
Lunch: 4 Chicken quesadillas and lemonade with extra water. I also shared fries with my half brother. He had Mac and Cheese “fries." They tasted really good. I have no regrets; I may have failed on Sunday but the chicken quesadillas were BOMB.
Dinner: Pringles, I know this was a super trash and small dinner but the P ringles were tasty, and I also wasn’t in the mood to eat.

Monday
Breakfast: Cocoa Puffs with Almond Milk (Unsweetened)
Lunch: Chelsie’s Ham & Salami sandwich and pringles, I kinda forgot when I ate it but as soon as I finished the sandwich I noticed that it had meat… but you know I can't go back, it’s alright it tasted good I do regret it though, unlike the chicken quesadillas hahaha…
Dinner: Lentil soup with rice. This was a really good dinner, I will usually eat this for dinner because in Colombian culture we eat Lentil Soup for dinner.

Tuesday
Breakfast: Arepa con Queso, in english it’s Arepa with cheese. This is a traditional breakfast in South America.
Lunch: Fries, I had school lunch, it was a cheese burger with fries but I only had the fries because the meat at school is nasty, and…. I was going vegetarian!
Dinner: Rice and beans with a salad, the salad was supposed to be steak but I replaced it with the salad.

Wednesday
Breakfast: I skipped breakfast so I wouldn’t be late for school.
Lunch: A strawberry smoothie with a fruit salad. It was very good, highly recommended!
Dinner: I had lentil soup with rice and salad. This was a really big dinner and I got full too quickly so I stopped after the lentil soup and had half of the rice. (I gave the rest of the rice to my dog though.)

Thursday
Breakfast I had some crackers and butter with water. I know that this was a weird breakfast but we didn’t have anything else and my grandma didn’t want me skipping breakfast again.
Lunch: At school we had mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce. It was nasty but I don’t like school lunch in general.
Dinner: I had mexican food. It was 2 tacos and yellow rice. After that, I had a bottle of Snapple peach tea. I was surprised that the Mexican place had a vegetarian and vegan menu. From the menu I had a “Meat-free Bean Taco” It was made with, black beans, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and vegan tortillas.

Friday
Breakfast: Fruity Pebbles Cereal with Almond Milk Unsweetened. The reason I usually have cereal with Almond Milk is because I am allergic to cow milk, I’m only 0.10 percent allergic, but I just want to know that my body will feel 0.10 percent better without the cow milk. Anyways, the breakfast was quick and small because I only had like 4 small spoons because I was going to be late for school.
Lunch: I had skipped lunch because 1. Because I wasn’t that hungry, and 2. I wanted to got to the library at school.
Dinner: Thai food, Pad See Ew. This lunch was delivered to my house from a restaurant called Sompong Thai because the store near my home was closed and we couldn’t go 10 blocks out to buy groceries for the next 2 weeks. Anyways, the dinner is made of flat noodles, so it has some scrambled egg bits in it for a flavor, peanut oil, soy sauce for the sweetner, and some vegetables. This is one of my favorite meals to have because it’s small but really healthy because the restaurant doesn’t put many oils or a lot of salt, but they focus more on the noodles and the vegetables.

Saturday
Breakfast: For breakfast I had Fruity Pebbles cereal with Almond Milk Unsweetened and without any drink. This is like how most of my mornings go so there’s not much to explain.
Lunch: I had a lettuce, cheese, tomato sandwich. This was a pretty good meal even though i haven’t really had a meal like this in a long time.
Dinner: Lentil soup with rice and steak. This was a really good dinner. I did not eat the steak for dinner because of the challenge and I didn’t want to ruin my four day streak!

Lilah’s Conclusion
This challenge was very hard for me and my grandmother! I always help her cook for the family because I live with four other people and I didn’t want my grandmother to do all that work by herself! But the hard part was that she is so used to cooking meat that because of the challenge she didn’t want to buy meat for only three people a week. (My aunt is vegetarian). So, she just decided not to buy meat until the challenge was over. The thing is, after 3 days my body felt more energetic. It was because I hadn’t eaten any meat! My daily food routine was similar to what it normally is except meat was replaced with a salad or I just didn’t eat it at all! I may not continue this after this week, but this is making me decide whether or not I should try going vegetarian again someday.

Image result for vegetarian logo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

The Downside of School Dress Codes for Female Students

Disney Channel Character from “Andi Mack” comes out as gay, and other LGBT characters.