UNICORNS

By Alexa Perez

Original Picture by Taetum Brown

Well, I for one believe that unicorns exist somewhere out there in the world. Some people don’t. When people hear the word unicorn, they most likely think of a majestic horse with a horn on its forehead. But did you know there are many definitions of the word “unicorn”?

Again, most people think that it is just a mythical creature, but there is more than one way to use the word “unicorn.” For instance, the term ”unicorn” could mean a start-up company valued at more than a billion dollars, typically in the software or technology sector.

But let’s go back to the mythological definition of Unicorn. The animal version of a unicorn that everyone knows is a horse or goat-like creature with a long horn on the top of its head and has cloven hooves. According to Encyclopedia Britannica, “The unicorn appeared in early Mesopotamian artworks, and it also was referred to in the ancient myths of India and China.”

But what do HPCMS students think? 7th Grader Isaiah Planas says, “I think a Unicorn is a fictional horse with a spiral horn. I think Unicorns were mistaken for rhinos instead of an actual horse, a white horse with a horn. I don’t think they’re real; I’m pretty sure they're not, and even if they were Pegasus are better.”

7th Grader Keturah Bryant says, “I think a Unicorn is a non fictional horse with a rainbow tail and wings. I think they are still real.”

In keeping with Keturah, 7th Grader Tanairy Vazquez said “I think that a Unicorn is a different type of horse with a long stick on their forehead. I think once in time they were real because if they weren’t why would they be a random myth. They could’ve made something else instead of a unicorn like a Pegasus.”

So, are unicorns real? Well, in my opinion, yes, unicorns in the magical sense still exist. But for now let’s stick to the facts. So, tens of thousands of years ago, unicorns did in fact exist. But, they weren’t the majestic unicorns you think they look like. According to this article from The Cut, unicorns actually looked like this:



I know, they really were hideous! It’s a surprise that they don’t look like the beautiful white horned horses we know, but this is the truth of how they looked. In real life, these creatures were known as the Siberian Unicorn. It was more of a big hairy rhino with one horn than the unicorns that first come to our minds when we picture them. According to The Cut, “Researchers from Russia’s Tomsk State University found a Siberian unicorn skull in Kazakhstan and dated it to around 29,000 years ago...” It also surprised me when I saw this picture and I can’t believe that we thought that unicorns were magical horses with a horn on their head for so long.

What do I personally think a unicorn is? I think a unicorn is one of those beautiful white horses with one horn on their head. I also think that a unicorn is a person who is hard to find and who has a unique personality. I believe I am one of those people! I say that I’m a unicorn and that unicorns are my spirit animal all the time! I personally love them. But everyone has their own opinion. Hopefully this article will change your mind about what you think about unicorns or at least get you to think about them a little more than you usually do!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Disney Channel Character from “Andi Mack” comes out as gay, and other LGBT characters.

The Downside of School Dress Codes for Female Students