HPCMS and Chess

By Nicholas Lentini

Long Island City, New York - Chess is a very fun game to play. It may seem complicated at first but once you get to know how to play the game it is very exciting to play. If you don’t know how to play then I suggest learning how because once you learn the game then you learn strategies and then you can get better and better as you play during your journey through the game of chess.

At HPCMS, chess is played all around the school. It is also enjoyed all around the school by students in all grades, staff, and administration.

The Chess team at HPCMS has about 40 kids on it. These players have either just started in 6th grade or have been on the team since their first year at Hunters point. The team has been to many tournaments and had times where they won or where they “learned.”

Chess is good for your brain which is demonstrated in many ways. For example, a Chessity article called The Benefits of Chess says, “The reality of chess is different – it actually is an incredibly beneficial pastime, because playing chess results in better brain function, improved memory and cognitive abilities, strategic thinking and attention improvement. All of these benefits are directly related to the practice of chess, both in real-life and virtual environments.” This shows that chess is fun and beneficial to the brain in many ways.

If you still think chess is hard here is an inspirational quote from the best chess player today - Magnus Carlsen. “I started by just sitting by the chessboard exploring things. I didn’t even have books at first, and I just played by myself. I learnt a lot from that, and I feel that it is a big reason why I now have a good intuitive understanding of chess.”

HPCMS is connected to chess in many ways and I asked a good amount of students on how they feel about chess and how chess affects them as students and as people.

Andrei Huezo from 601 said, “Your focus heightens in chess and and the focus helps you focus when you are doing an assignment in class and I play most of the time in my free time.”

Also Paige from 604 said, “Chess helps me find a way to solve problems in an easier way.”

Lesly Hernandez from 603 said “It gives you more of a strategic way of thinking during your classes. I also play Chess a lot in my free time.”

Chess impacts the school and the world by changing how we think and process things in our everyday lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Disney Channel Character from “Andi Mack” comes out as gay, and other LGBT characters.

The Downside of School Dress Codes for Female Students